Climbing Higher, Growing stronger

Friday, September 9, 2011

Sweet Baby James: My Precious, Determined Explorer


There are three words that often come to mind when I think about James: determined, explorer, precious. Russell and I are so grateful that he is a part of our life. He brings us such great joy, and teaches us so much about life. He helps us to remember to stay focused on the things that are most important.

Determined: 

James wants to learn how to do everything! The past few weeks he has really gotten better at his fine motor skills. It started out with just taking things out and putting things back in a bucket or bowl. Then he moved to putting Legos together, and just a couple days ago he was determined to figure out how to put a lid on a pen. He tried and tried for a half hour. He would get frustrated and cry and walk away, but then thirty seconds later he was back at that pen, trying to put the lid on. Once he finally got it, he continued to take it on and off over and over and over again, for another fifteen minutes, just to  make sure that it wasn't a fluke and that he really had mastered it. It is so cute, every day he finds a new thing that he wants to master and he works at it until he can do it perfectly!

Explorer:
 
James loves to explore. Not only does he try to figure out how everything works, but he loves to explore the space around him. He loves to put himself in small places, like the shoe box in my closet, and in the bathroom cupboard under the sink.When we go to the park he loves to explore and play in the tunnels.

Precious:
James babbles a lot, and he says mommy, daddy, ouch, thanks, here's this, up, hi, yes, and no no no. I haven't been able to get him to repeat any words after me. He wants to do say things when it is his choice, not mommy's. But today as I was singing to him before his nap, he was staring at something on the wall. I turned to look, and he was staring at a picture of Jesus with little children. I said "That's Jesus," and he pointed to the picture and said "Jesus!" It was so sweet and tender. James truly helps me to focus my life on the things that matter most. My life has totally changed since having a baby, and I am so so grateful for how it has changed. Sometimes it is overwhelming, and you feel like you never get anything done anymore. But what could be more important than teaching your little ones; what could be more important than becoming like your little ones! I can't think of anything in the world!!

No comments:

Post a Comment